Unwinding After Work During Winter
With winter in full swing, the weather is cold and the days are short. Often times we resign ourselves to sitting in front of the TV when it’s dark when we get home from work. With depression at an all time high this time of year, especially in our area in the NW, it’s good to find things that engage your mind and bring fulfillment.
- Find a Board Game- Whether you’re a tabletop expert or have never even played a game of Monopoly, board games are a great option no matter the size of your household. Board games are an excellent way to keep your mind engaged, and because there are so many different options you’re sure to find something that fits your needs. From complicated games that take several hours, to simple games that take less than 30 minutes, this is a great choice for anyone looking to spend quality time with friends and family.
- Take a Walk – While it is chilly this time of year, the cool air can certainly be refreshing! Not only is taking a walk good for your body, but there’s plenty of evidence that shows it helps soothe the mind as well. Activities like walking are even more important if you have a job that’s relatively sedentary. In general getting fresh air is highly underrated these days so take this opportunity when sidewalks are less crowded.
- Pick up a Hobby- One thing that can always improve your mood is having a project to work on. Hobbies are a great outlet for this, as they typically involve a lot of practice and focus. One affordable solution that’s very accessible is drawing. There are so many different art styles to choose from, and as a bonus it can be done almost anywhere. Another good option is something like leatherworking or wood burning. With this style you get to work with interesting artistic mediums and can experiment endlessly recreating art from different formats. Or create your own masterpiece!
- Read a Book- Can you remember the last time you sat down and read a good book? This activity is great way to occupy your mind and your time, and can be both fun and educational. Another good option is audiobooks, so if you’re doing chores or commuting you can keep yourself entertained. If you’re already an avid reader give a new genre a try to mix things up, you never know what might spark your interest!
- Organize- Have a cluttered room in your home? Maybe the whole place could use some work? Go through the areas in your home you’d like to see tidied up and make a plan for how you’re going to tackle it all. Whether that’s new storage bins for your shelves, creative clothing organizers for your closet, or even just changing the way you fold your towels in your linen closet. The productivity will make you feel better and removing that clutter will help you keep your house clean!
We hope this list of ideas inspires you to get away from the screen and make life a little more interesting! Stay safe and warm out there.